Loading...

Takoradi-born Ghanaian rapper Pappy Kojo has said he deserves all the nominations he has received in this year’s Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.

Even though some industry players believe he didn’t deserve any of the nominations he had, the rapper says they are a true reflection of his work.

Speaking in an interview with Hitz FM’s Ibrahim Ben-Bako, the rapper, when asked if he deserved all the nominations said “If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be in the categories because I’m not an Accra boy, I don’t have relationship with any of the awards people for them to even consider me, they obviously put me in it because they saw my works and they liked it.”

Pappy Kojo was nominated in the Best New Artiste of the Year, Hiphop Song of the Year and Hiplife/Hippop Artiste of the Year categories all for his song, “Realer No”.

“In the beginning I didn’t expect it but then I realize I have some numbers, people really like me, the kids dress like me, they follow me everywhere I go, so I feel like I have a certain type of people who look up to me.

“Ever since the wave in the “Realer No” came [out] I see people with their tattered jeans, bandana and even with my hairstyle, so I feel like I am helping change a game so obviously yeah I do,” he said.

Commenting on the genre of his song “Realer No” which features “Tonga” hit maker Joey B, he said, “My song has both the hiphop and hiplife feel. I’m doing it in our local dialect, it’s traditional and the feeling to the beat and melody has that hiphop feeling to it.”

According to him, the fact that he was nominated alone makes him feel like a winner and also relevant in the industry.

“I feel like am already a winner, last year June, July, August no one knew who I was and within seven months, I [have been] nominated. I never expected this to happen. I just want to go to awards [launch] and hear ‘and the nominees are Pappy Kojo’ it’s my dream, So if I happen to even get one I [will be] grateful. My friends and family are proud.”

This year’s Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) was launched on Friday February, 27 at the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel and the main award ceremony is scheduled for April 11 at the Accra International Conference Centre.

Apart from “Realer No”, Pappy Kojo is also known for songs like “Hate the Game”, “Ay3 Late” featuring Sarkodie and “Mamma Mia” which features E.L and Jiggy.

Source: Myjoyonline

Advertisement

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top